Monday, July 11, 2011

Mixing narrative, politics, energy and art

Listen to this piece on NPR.org, which juxtaposes comments of local residents about the so-called Guy earthquake storm with snippets of a ballad by folk singer and songwriter, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, about what the residents said.

Interesting to me is the fact that so many listeners of this story, which aired last Friday, were so annoyed by the format. See the listener comments here. Was it hearing the rural, southern accents that bothered them--even those who noted that they were from Arkansas? Some complain about the lack of hard scientific information in the feature, others about the confusing juxtaposition and resulting "cacophony." But I'm not sure what the problem was with the story. Maybe because I read the comments before I listened to feature, I was not at all confused. Also, I felt the voices were honored by the reporting, not ridiculed. I saw it as a human interest story, not science reporting.

Earlier posts about the Guy earthquake storm are here and here. The small quakes began in September, 2010, mostly between Guy, population 557, and Greenbrier, population 4,148, are in Faulkner County, Arkansas, population 105,000 and part of the greater Little Rock Metropolitan Area.

No comments: